The Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) was first published in June 2003 by the Center for World-Class Universities (CWCU), Graduate School of Education of Shanghai Jiao Tong University, China, and updated on an annual basis. Since 2009 the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU) has been published and copyrighted by ShanghaiRanking Consultancy. More than 1200 universities are actually ranked by ARWU every year and the best 500 are published. For 2016 the Shanghai Ranking Consultancy also published rankings in seven specific subjects: chemical engineering, civil engineering, electrical & electronic engineering, energy science & engineering, environmental science & engineering,materials science & engineering, and mechanical engineering.
At the ShanghaiRanking's Global Ranking of Academic Subjects - 2016, the Technical University of Crete
was ranked in the 201-300 range in the subject area of Electrical & Electronic Engineering:
To be included in a subject ranking, the universities have to have a minimum number of research publications. For engineering subjects, the scholarly output requirements are 200 papers over the past five years. In particular, the rankings were based on the weighted total scores from eight indicators:
• The number of papers authored by an institution and indexed in Scopus in each engineering subject
• The number of world top 25% most cited papers in each engineering subject an institution has
• The number of world top 1% most cited papers in each engineering subject an institution has
• How the number of citations received by an institution’s publications compares with the average number of citations received by
all other similar publications in each engineering subject the Scopus database
• The extent to which an institution’s publications have international co-authorship.
• The percentage of an institution’s publication with academic and corporate or industrial co-authors.
• Most Cited Researchers in each engineering subject
• The total number of the staff of an institution wining a significant award in an engineering subject.
Apart of TUC, six Greek HEI's are ranked in the ARWU list in several academic subjects.
RESOURCES | ARWU website: http://www.arwu.org/