Application deadline: 20 JAN 2022
- VJ22-How to apply
- VJ22-Application form
- VJ22-Frequently asked questions
- VJ22-LOP -List of placements (this document will be updated until 15 January with the incoming offers)
What is it?
Vulcanus in Japan started in 1997. The programme consists of industrial placements for EU / COSME* students. It starts in September and ends in August of the following year in order to accommodate the academic year in EU Member States.
The students follow:
- a one-week seminar on Japan,
- a four-month intensive Japanese language course,
- and then an eight-month traineeship in a Japanese company.
- To study the range of advanced technologies employed by a leading Japanese host company.
- To learn Japanese and to understand and appreciate Japanese culture with a view to an enriching one year experience abroad.
- To be well placed in your future career to interact with Japanese businesses and people.
Who pays what
'Vulcanus in Japan' is financed by the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation and the Japanese host company. The EU / COSME* students are awarded a pro-rata grant of Yen 1.900.000 (*) to cover the cost of travel to and from Japan and living expenses in Japan. The language course, the seminar, the accommodation in Japan for the entire stay are provided free of charge.
(*) You will receive the pro-rata grant during your stay in Japan. In case of partial remote attendance of the programme, from Europe, due to entry bans, conditions will be informed later on.
Are you eligible?
You must be:
- citizen of an EU Member-State or a COSME * country.
a student of engineering or science ** at an EU / COSME university, enrolled –at the moment of application– in between the 4th official year of university studies (3 undergraduate + 1) and the penultimate year of PhD.
- able to provide a certificate of enrolment at the university valid until at least 3 months prior to the starting of the programme (please note that you cannot complete your cycle of studies before June)
(*) Non EU ? Please check if your country has joined COSME and the agreement is “in force”. Then you can apply. (See here the status of your country & of the country of your university.)
(**) Computer science, mechanical engineering, chemical, electronics, biotechnology, electrical engineering, physics, telecommunication, nuclear engineering, civil engineering, metal materials, ceramics, production system, GNSS, etc.
Applicants are short-listed on the basis of their academic record and the opinion of their tutors, their knowledge of written and spoken English, their motivation, their attitude to EU-Japan relations and their ability to adapt to a different culture. The final say lies in the hands of the Japanese host companies. (for more information: click here)
How to apply
Session: SEPT 2022 - AUG 2023 --> Application deadline: 20 JAN 22
What documents should you submit? How should you apply? Please check document "How to apply" (Available in the grey box headed "Vulcanus documents", on this page).
Any questions? please read the "Frequently Asked Questions" document and "More info on compulsory docs", available in the grey box headed "Vulcanus documents".
Available placements for session 2022 - 2023
Please take a look at the file "LOP - List of Placements", available in the grey box, in this web page, starting from December 2021. This file will be regularly updated with the incoming offers of placements that we will receive. Last possible update: 19 January 2022
- Article 1.1: In the event that the European Commission which funds the EU-Japan Centre for Industrial Cooperation (hereafter “the Centre”) is not able to approve funding commitment for the Centre after 31 March 2022 (end of the COSME funding to the Centre), the Centre will reserve the right to terminate the Vulcanus in Japan Programme for sessions 2021-2022 and 2022-2023. Applicants to the Vulcanus in Japan Programme will be promptly notified of their termination.
- Article 1.2: Citizens of non-EU Countries participating in COSME (https://ec.europa.eu/docsroom/documents/39579) are eligible to apply and participate in the Centre’s training programmes until 31 March 2022. Depending on the eligibility on Non-EU countries in the new programme succeeding COSME, the concerned applicants will be notified by the Centre about their eligibility or not in the Vulcanus in Japan Programme for 2022-2023.