Learning (for students) and Mobility (for staff) Agreements

Before the mobility, the sending and receiving Institutions, together with the participant (student or staff), must agree on the activities that the participant will undertake during the period abroad. A Learning Agreement for studies sets-out the study program which the student will follow, defines the target learning outcomes and specifies the formal recognition provisions. A Learning Agreement can be modified after arriving at TUC provided that the Academic Coordinators at TUC and at the PI agree with the proposed changes. A Mobility Agreement for teaching or a Mobility Agreement for training sets-out the teaching or training program the student/staff follow and lists the rights and obligations of each party.

Visa and Residence Permit

Before leaving their country and at least one month before the intended visit, the prospective incoming students / staff from the PI, need to personally apply for a visa for issuance by the Greek diplomatic missions of their country. The visa must be valid from THREE to at least SIX MONTHS after the planned date of departure from destination. Expired visas will not be accepted and must be renewed before travel to the country concerned.

Please refer to the following page in order to inverstigate whether you will need or not a visa for your entrance in Greece https://www.mfa.gr/en/visas/visas-for-foreigners-traveling-to-greece/countries-requiring-or-not-requiring-visa.html

Information regarding Greek diplomatic missions abroad are available on the following website http://www.mfa.gr/en/appendix/greece-bilateral-relations/a.html.

Εxcept from the application submitted, the other required documents and the visa fee, the applicant will also need a Letter of Acceptance composed and sent by the Erasmus officer to him personally (via e-mail and air-mail) and to the competent Greek diplomatic mission. It is highly recommended for the prospective incoming students / staff to start the procedures in a timely manner and to inform about the final dates of travel before the Erasmus office sends the Letter of Acceptance  to the Greek Embassy or Consular Office. For more information please visit the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs site: http://www.mfa.gr/en/visas/visa-types/national-visas.html

In the case of an approved request regarding the prolongation of stay which exceeds the period of three months, the Decentralized Administration of Crete, Department of Residence Permits in Chania will address the issue for the incoming student / staff.  The latter will have to apply for a visa entry type D  and submit the following documents:

I. Application

II. Valid passport photocopy. Attention! If the birthplace is not listed on the passport, the grantee will have to provide a birth certificate issued in English or accompanied by an approved translation service or official authority

III. Visa photocopy

IV. Α 150 euros electronic fee (code 2401) and a 16 euros electronic fee (code 4762). The electronic fees can be issued at any KEP in Chania. The grantee must keep a photocopy of the e-fees and deposit the money in any bank provided he / she turns to the competent office at least one week before he / she visits the Decentralized Administration of Crete. If the grantee appears the same day, or 3-4 before, he/she will have to deposit the money only in one of the following banks: Ethiniki, Eurobank, Alpha, Pireaus. The grantee shall keep a copy of the receipts and hand in the originals at the competent office along with the other documents.

V. An Insurance Certificate issued in English and translated in Greek by an authorized attorney (a cost of approximatively 75 euros).

VI. A Certificate delivered from the Erasmus Office of the Technical University of Crete

VII. Four (4) passport type photographs

VIII. One cd containing the digital photo of the above mentioned printed ones.

Please find useful information at the Visa and Residence Permit Guide for Students issued by the Greek Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Erasmus Office provides support and assistance at all stages of the process.


After having received a Letter of Acceptance and before they enter the country, applicants need to undertake all the necessary procedures so as to obtain suitable and adequate a) Health Insurance which also predicts the possibility of repatriation and specific medical intervention and b) Personal Accident coverage.

These two types of insurance are mandatory and a prerequisite for the mobility.

According to the clauses of the Grant Agreement, the receiving Institution is responsible to mandatorily check that the Participant has health insurance and personal accident coverage. The applicants must scan the original copy of the insurance documents and send it via e-mail to the TUC Erasmus Office at the erasmus-plus@isc.tuc.gr The insurance documents must be issued in English.




Grant Agreement

The Grant Agreement is an important document signed by the prospective incoming student /staff and the competent authorities of the Sending and Receiving Institution. This document describes the obligations and the rights of the grantee, the conditions of the mobility and the payment arrangements. Before departure the applicant will receive by e-mail the Grant Agreement, which he/she must adequately fill-in, print in triplicate, seal with the PI’s stamp, signed by the grantee himself and by the central authorities (usually the Legal Representatives) of the PI and TUC respectively. The grantee holds one original agreement, the Home holds another and the Receiving Institution holds one as well. TUC wishes that the original documents be received and sent either via air-mail, or handed to the TUC Erasmus officer by the participants themselves.  All three parties must sign the agreement before the start of the mobility and the grant.

© Technical University of Crete 2012